I thought Pamplona was one area, huge but singular in it's level of depravity but apparently outside of the city limits property is common.
Huge oil pipes and natural gas factories are nestled in the base of the mountains and the roar of the pacific can be heard over the rumble of the old bus on broken concrete and dirt roads.
The orphanage is encased by a green concrete wall and locked shut. It's right on the beach, closer than any beach front home in the states. Eventually the wooded gate is opened by a uniform guard and we ride in to a deserted courtyard.
We are locked in.
We are led to a dinning room that looks like a school cafeteria. Picnic tables and bare florescent lights complete the look. The kids come in, in four straight lines smiling broadly asking if the boxes are full of zapatoes. About 15 of the kids have mental disabilities.
The boys were so easy to fit because they really didn't care what the shoe looked like but that they were new and clean.After everyone is fit, I venture out and play a game of futbol with them, let's just say that they are fast competitive little boys but I held my own.

We had a box lunch and were led to this wooded gate with a simple solid door in that when opened is right on to the beach. Imagine these boys are surrounded by cornet but right on the other side is God's glorious creation.
This beach was trashed, rubble everywhere. We sat alongside a stone wall and I looked out onto a ocean that I had never seen before and Gods vastness washed over me.
The next stop was a community center in a rural poverty rich area in Acnon. Here were boys and girls, baby to elementary age. I stepped away from the shoes station to participate in the bible study with the preschool kids. Looking into their faces I was remind of my children back home, all kids are the same they seek the same things. Their God is the same who shines in my preschool class room and He is so big and mighty and strong. I met a little girl named Sophia. She was the first kid to answer my questions in spanish when I asked them. She is 4 yrs old lives with her mom and little brother. I was able to find her pink shoes which is her favorite color.
I held a baby and put stickers all over little kids who laughed with glee as I tickled them. We all sang Jesus loves me and danced. Gods movement is evident he is powerful and provides such hope for these people. I am simple blessed to witness it and humble by gratitude.
Dinner was located in one of the Buckner transitional homes for girls. These girls are in college and once they obtain jobs they will move out. It was like a sorority house. They are proud of their studies and so grateful to be able to attend school that it reminded me to be thankful too.


No comments:
Post a Comment